Search

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sensory Processing Disorder vs. Fibromyalgia

I posted a link yesterday regarding posting a poll to determine how many of our sensory kids have parents who have Fibromyalgia.  I suffer daily with it.  There are days when I feel like I can't take one more step and want to fall right where I stand, because I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

I follow another blog and she was posting that she had it today as well and it made my interest peak even higher to find out how may of our members suffer with it and have a child with SPD. 

I would love to get opinions from our members regarding whether or not they think the two are related in some way.  I'm sure that this has been tossed around before but thought it was an interesting topic to talk about. This isn't being posted to cause a stir.  I really am just curious to get others ideas.

Fibromyalgia Pain Linked With Central Nervous System Disorder

American Pain Society (2008, June 3). Fibromyalgia Pain Linked With Central Nervous System Disorder. ScienceDaily. Retrieved June 13, 2010, from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080531091216.htm 

{The Michigan researchers studied 31 subjects to determine if there is a global central nervous system problem underlying sensory processing in fibromyalgia patients. They noted that few studies have employed different stimuli in consistent ways and levels of intensity to measure pain sensitivities in this patient group. In this study, fibromyalgia patients and normal subjects were exposed to random auditory and pressure stimuli.
Consistent with prior research, the fibromyalgia subjects in the study showed greater sensitivity to auditory tones and reported higher sensitivity to daily sounds. Further, significant associations were observed between the auditory and pressure responses and support the claim that such abnormalities maybe related to a common pathophysiological mechanism. They also noted that fibromyalgia subjects perceived auditory stimuli to be of the same intensity as felt by control subjects, even though their actual intensity levels were lower.
The authors concluded their findings show that fibromyalgia is associated with a central nervous deficit in sensory processing. Further research is needed to examine mechanisms governing these perceptual abnormalities.}

44 Responses to "Sensory Processing Disorder vs. Fibromyalgia"

♥ LLL with Leslie ♥ Says :
June 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Thanks for the follow. I am now following you back.

Have a great day :)

Leslie
www.livelovelaughwithleslie.com

Mellisa Says :
June 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Thanks for stopping by, I am now your newest follower!

Mellisa
www.funsavingmoney.net

Anonymous Says :
June 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I love that you're bringing awareness to this...I had never even heard of SPD.

Returning your FMBT follow!

Debbiedoos Says :
June 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Following you back. Your boy is beautiful! I think this information is pertinent and can be so helpful for mothers who are going through the same struggles as you are along with your boy. I have a friend who' son is now 17, and he has this same thing....he has done well in school to the best of his ability....along with his Parents efforts and helps along the way.

Super Coupon Lady Says :
June 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Thanks for the follow! I'm following you back!
I was a special education teacher for 10 years, so I'm sure I will really enjoy reading your blog. I wish you lots of luck!

Kristi Says :
June 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I'm following you back. Your son is adorable. :) My mom is a teacher. She loves using all kinds of fun sensory items with the kids. I loved your post about colored pasta...it would be just up her alley.

Twee Poppets Says :
June 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Thanks for following! I'm following back! :)

http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com

Yenta Mary Says :
June 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Hi! Thanks for coming to visit me -- following back, and wishing you and Lucas the very best ... :)

foodfloozie.blogspot.com

Judy Says :
June 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Hi! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and following. Im now following you back. Have a great week!

Daisygirl Says :
June 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Thanks so much for the follow coming over to follow you back from FMBT!

Hope your day is going fabulous!

Erica K Says :
June 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I don't know much about either but that my aunt had Fibromyalgia. I'm so very very sorry you have it. My aunt suffered a lot and I hate knowing anyone else is too.
----------------------------
Thank you for stopping by my blog, I'm following back
www.bassgiraffe.com

Sandy S. Says :
June 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Thanks for stopping by, I'm following you back!

http://suddenlysandy.com

ChinaDoll Says :
June 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Thanks for visiting me. Following you back dear! Hugs to you!♥

TerriAnn @ Cookies and Clogs Says :
June 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Fibromyalgia is a horrible and painful illness!
Thank you for following me – right back at’cha.
cookiesandclogs@gmail.com
http://www.cookiesandclogs.com
Deals and reviews from a stay-at-home mother of 1

Nikki San Says :
June 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Your blog is very useful for those moms out there who also share the same sentiments with their kids. Your son is so adorable!

Thanks for dropping by. I'm following you back from FMBTuesday. Have a fab week!

xoxo
NiQ

Bonnie @ House of Grace Says :
June 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Thanks for following! I am following you back, your son is a sweet pea!
Bonnie

Truthful Mommy Says :
June 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Thanks for following. I am following back! Happy Mothering!
http://motherhoodthetruth.blogspot.com/

Anonymous Says :
June 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Following you back! :)
I have two boys with Autism. I'm looking forward to reading more about adorable Lucas! :)
Lynn
www.bradybunchplus1.blogspot.com

Dawn K. Says :
June 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Hi there! Thanks for the follow. I'm following back and looking forward to reading more about Lucas!

XmasDolly Says :
June 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Thanks for stopping by. Came over to return the follow! Thanks again, and nice to meet you. Have a great evening! You boy is adorable!

Housewife Eclectic Says :
June 16, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I have fibro as well, I feel your pain!

Thanks for the follow! I am returning it now! Can't wait to read more!
-http://www.housewifeeclectic.com

stash mama Says :
June 16, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Thanks for the follow!! I am now following you back! http://stashmama.blogspot.com/

Flory Says :
June 16, 2010 at 1:01 AM

interesting site!!!following you back now!
thanks for stopping by my blog btw!have a nice day!
flory

Josie Says :
June 16, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Following you back, thanks for following fr. FMBT. I hope you and Lucas are fine now.

http://www.josieswindow.info

Betty Manousos Says :
June 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Thank you for finding me and for the follow! I'm now following you back!Great blog you have!!

So great to "meet" you.
Betty Manousos
CUT AND DRY

EmmysBoosAndRawrs Says :
June 16, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Thanks for following m e- im now following you (Back) from FMBT. i'm your 88th follower :)

missykade Says :
June 16, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It means a great deal to both Lucas and I.

Have a great day and thank you so much for joining in our journey together.

Susan Cook Says :
June 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the follow. I am now following you back.

Have a great day :)

Quirky Homemaker Says :
May 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM

This is interesting! I was just reading about sensory ** disorder at someone else's site last week, thinking that so many of the symptoms sound like my son and probably things from my childhood and my mom has Fibromyalgia. It would make sense that they were connected. Will be interesting to see what correlations they find in the future.

Anonymous Says :
January 26, 2012 at 4:53 AM

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD recently but we're not having much luck with meds. Plus she also has other sensory issue that we constantly struggle with. I am now thinking she may have SPD from all that I have read. I also wonder if I have SPD. I have a lot of the symptoms of SPD also. A year ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was wondering if the two were related or not.

Anonymous Says :
May 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I have Fibro. It stinks. My son is so highly sensitive to so many things that I have praying he doesn't have it too. He is only 7. Been seeing an Occupational therapist and she says he has SPD. Wow, what is this connection??

Anonymous Says :
September 6, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I have had fibro for 20 years and still battling daily with it. We saw a psychiatrist today for my 9 year old son who has very high anxiety and some sensory issues so I am now looking into SPD. As soon as I read it was a central nervous system disfunction I wondered if it could be related to fibro - I would be really keen to find out if there is a link!!

Anonymous Says :
November 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM

So, my 9 year old - who has been diagnosed with oppositional defiance has been in therapy for months. The therapist has just suggested that we should see an occupational therapist for Sensory integration disorder - I was diagnosed with Fibro
when he was 2..

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...